Thursday, June 30, 2022

THE SUMMER'S OF RICH

 


Jeremiah 9:23-24 /  Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom.  Let not the mighty man glory in his might. Nor let the rich man glory in his riches. But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and know Me...that I am the Lord."

About this time each year my mind starts to churn out memories of when I was at Rapha. There were certain things you could count on without fail. The weather was hot......the humidity was high.......the mosquito's were huge.....and Rich Delafino would come to visit for two weeks. He came to share his story, his love for Jesus, and to simply be with the ones who were in the program.

Rich was a N.Y. city policeman and as such he came with all the traits that you might think someone from New York would have. He was brash. He was in your face. He was opinionated (In Rich's mind, he was always right). But more than any trait that got under your skin, Rich had a heart as big as all out doors.

As best as I can remember, Rich went to a Gold City quartet concert and it was at this even that he was saved. At the time, Gold City use to put on a big hoo-ha each year over at their place in Glencoe. So Rich decided to come down and check it out. The details of how he came to Rapha aren't clear to me but needless to say the rest is history.

Rich took 2 weeks of his own vacation. Paid his own way to be here.  And spent those two weeks getting to know the guys. There were classes where he taught them. There were late night visits to the local Waffle House, as Rich would load up the bus and take the guys out. There was the Friday night ice cream gathering that never failed to be a hit. Through it all, this brash man from New York was able to touch the hearts of countless individuals. That is just what Rich did...he loved as the Father loved.

As time passed, Rich was not able to come down during the summer. I knew this was a hard thing for him to accept, but I also know that Rich had accumulated more memories that a body could count, of what God had done during the annual summer visit.

So this morning....I am grateful to have known Rich. I am blessed to have been able to sit and talk with him.....listen to his stories.....and see the glow that would come to his face when ever he talked about his Jesus. I think maybe the world needs a lot of "Rich Delefino's".

Years have passed and I have lost contact with Rich. I do not know if he is still alive or not. The last time I spoke to him, he told me that it was getting harder and harder for him to get around. I do know this though....the seed that Rich sowed in the lives of the men he came in contact with is still alive and well. All because this crazy man from New York decided to spend his summer vacation in Alabama at a drug and alcohol rehab.

Rich Delefino....I love you.

God on you ...

Michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...