Friday, August 10, 2018

"I'll Take Over Now"


"If I follow the Bible, I don't really need to work the Twelve Steps!"

I haven't heard a lot of people in recovery say this, but I sure have seen a lot of them approach their recovery in this manner. 
"I don't like those meetings"
"I'm different than most so the Steps really wouldn't work for me"
Well, since "self-run-riot" is our biggest problem that lead us down the dark path of addiction, why all of a sudden does self get to call the shots? Seems to me like we've started the right way by admitting we were powerless...that we were the problem. Guess what? You cannot be the problem and the solution to your addiction.

We use to have a saying at Rapha that applied to such twisted thinking.

"Jesus will save your soul....but He isn't going to keep you sober."
In other words, Jesus is the answer......the power....the solution to your addiction, but there are disciplines given by Him that will aid you to stay on the right path in your relationship with Him.

Working the 12 Steps is following the Bible. It is a path through the Bible designed specifically for those who use to have a problem but whose problem now has them. It is a path of hope, healing, and restoration based on God's truth that will totally change the way you think  (Life Recovery Bible / Pg. A12)

I've seen too many folks who tried to run their recovery the way they wanted to. I've buried a lot of those same people. I think maybe the Apostle Paul stated it best:
Romans 12:2 /  Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Did you catch that?  Quit acting like the world does. God will change your heart which will, in turn, change the way you think. From this place, you'll see and understand what God's desire is for you. And the behaviors that come from you as you work the steps will be good..........pleasing........perfect.
Now I've got a problem with all of this.
Either it's true...........
Or it's not....
If it's not true, then lets all just quit kidding ourselves and meet at the Waffle House for some coffee and hash browns.

Me?
I believe it too be true.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...