Friday, September 28, 2018

Man Of Many Sorrows





Richie Furay, guitar player and singer/songwriter of Buffalo Springfield, Poco and many other bands, now a pastor in Denver, sings about an aspect of being a follower of Christ that many had just soon forget.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 3:10-11, " I Want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised Him from the dead. I Want to suffer with Him, sharing in His death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead." King James version reads that Paul wants to enter into the fellowship of suffering that Jesus went through. Doesn't sound like a fun place to be, does it? But yet this is where we find the real life and Power Jesus spoke about. Suffering is a part of life. Now don't think that I'm saying we should all run out and suffer for Jesus if we want to prove our love for Him. I'm not. But what I am saying is that when suffering comes because of our choice to follow Jesus, we need not run, but embrace it and allow the Power of God to take us through those dark times.

This song, to me, portrays a view of Jesus that you may not  find in many churches. A man of sorrows acquainted with grief.  We don't talk much about joining in to the fellowship of his suffering. Not very popular. We don't hear much about how he learned obedience through his suffering. 
He was a man of many sorrows.
I would like to say enjoy the song, but I don't think we are suppose to.
I think the song is to wake us up to a truth that has been hidden for many years.

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...