Thursday, July 16, 2020

NO ONE TALKS ABOUT PURITY ANYMORE


Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

You don't hear much about being "pure" anymore. I guess it is not in vogue to dwell on such subjects in church. After all, being pure takes all the fun out of life. To me this shows the smallness of the human mind, because when some think of purity, they see a list of rules to keep. Stay away from this thing..........you're not able to go to this place............don't indulge in this type behavior. When confronted with rules, the human heart sometimes appreciate the structure they bring, but only reveal our inability to keep said rules.

To me, purity is from the Lord.
He cleanses our hearts....
He gives us His Holy Spirit which produces the needed change in our nature and character. Some might call this change the "Fruit of the Spirit". But the truth is that given this new life and relationship we have received through out salvation, it requires a diligence and a faith on our part to move forward and follow where the Spirit leads us.

Psalm 19:12-14 gives us some insight into maintaining this gift of purity God grants to us.
"Cleanse me from secret faults. Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins. Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless and I shall be innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."

Here we read King David's revelation of who God is and the understanding of who he is. The awakening to the fact that even though he was king, at the heart of the matter was his tendency to do the wrong thing in the eyes of God. Such an understanding leads David to call out to God to keep him from moving into this darkness. Maybe I should take a page from ol' King David and realize that I too can easily slide over they edge back into my old life.

O God! Keep me today, and let Your purity cleanse me.
Thank you Jesus.....

God on you...
MBB

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...