Thursday, September 17, 2020

THE TRIP ISN'T OVER----BUT IT HAS BEEN LONG AND IT HAS BEEN STRANGE!

 


Joel 2:28 - ...Your old men shall dream dreams....and your young men shall see visions.

I think I may have fallen into that portion of the Joel passage where I shall dream dreams. Doesn't take much effort to dream. Sleep....lying down....being still. Notice that it doesn't say that the dreams would be good dreams. On the other hand, it didn't say they would be nightmares either.

I think (my opinion--please don't try to make a theology out of it) that it speaks more to a position or place in this journey we call life. Everything I encounter, everything I read, everything I see is filtered through my life experiences. What does this mean? It means that my world view is founded on my personal journey I've had with Jesus. All of these happened at a specific time and place. 

My formative years were the 1950's.  My rebellious years were the 1960's. By rebellion I mean that period of time where I was trying to understand who I was in this whole ramble-tamble thing we call life. No Virginia, I did not protest the war or become a radical. In fact I ran into some folks who showed me Jesus in a way that I'd never seen before. 

The 1970's were (for lack of a better term) I learned how to be an adult. Some days I was really good at it.........some days not so much. Vicki and I married and began to have our family. Two sons, Chad and Joshua, were born, and suddenly the responsibility of being married included having children. Vicki and I have always said that we "raised our children and each other."

1980's and 1990's were a blur of science projects, ball games, helping with studies, bringing discipline to our sons. Watching them grow and move from grade to grade in school. It was also a time of college for them.

Chad married Robin in 1999....Josh married Heather in 2004, and Vicki and I marveled that we hadn't done too much damage to our sons in our parenting.

2002 Tyler was born. First grandson. 2006 Ashley was born. First granddaughter. And now here in 2020, with all the craziness Tyler has started his freshman year in college. Ashley has entered high school and will not be far behind her brother when it comes to college.

All of this begs the question--When did I get old? Well it kind of creeps up on you. You look around at society and culture and your are puzzled by what you see. I now know why my folks acted the way they did when I was a teenager.

In the mix of everything I wrote about my journey is God's hand upon me and my family. He has sustained us and provided for us. He has never failed us, even though I failed Him. Now here at the exact moment in time and in my life...I really don't have a problem being relegated to the Job portion which states "I will dream dreams." 

Sitting here in my office this morning, I am grateful. Grateful that I've reached a place where I am able to study Scripture. That He has afforded me places where I can teach and share. And I am extremely grateful to all who take time out to read what is posted on this blog and on the various Facebook pages.

Well, time for another cup of coffee and maybe afterwards a quick nap. Maybe I'll dream.......

God on you this morning

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...