Thursday, June 17, 2021

DO YOU?

 

In John chapter 21, we come upon a conversation between Peter and Jesus. This is taking place after Jesus' resurrection. Jesus poses a question that seems out of place, but truth be known, Jesus is going to reveal His plans for Peter.

What is the question? The same one that you and I have to answer every day. "DO YOU LOVE ME?" If you look back to Matthew chapter 16, you may remember that Jesus asked another question of his disciples. "Who do you say I am?" Only one quickly shot back with an answer----Peter. "You're the Christ! The Son of the Living God!" Jesus then told Peter that God the Father had revealed that to Peter at that very moment.

But in John Chapter 21, the question of "Do you love me?" seems more intimate. More personal. A question that goes to the very heart of any relationship. "Do you love me?" A question that does not deserve what I refer to as a "Book Answer". In other words, don't parrot back some phrase or religious platitude. My answer needs to come from the heart. 

Two times Peter answers "Yes Lord, you know I love you." Two times Jesus gives Peter instructions that will direct Peter's new calling as a leader. On the third time when asked if Peter loved Jesus......Peter simply said, "Lord, you know all things." In other words, his heart was an open book to Jesus. It didn't matter what the words were, it was the state of the heart that revealed true love that Peter had for Jesus.

I guess you and I need to realize this today, because our actions...our choices....our behavior truly reflects whether we love Jesus, or we are simply playing a religious game.

Think on this today...
Chew on it and see if it speaks to your heart.

Know that I love you, and God REALLY loves you....

Michael b.



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...