Thursday, August 26, 2021

LOT OF HURT OUT THERE IN THIS OLD WORLD TONIGHT

 


Time: 7:23 p.m. CDST

Date: 8 - 26 - 2021

This will not be like any of my other posts here at the Greene Street Letter. I sit here in the safety of my home, yet my mind and heart are thousands of miles away. Thousands of miles away in a country I can pronounce, but probably would  not be able to spell it correctly. My thoughts are colored with grief and sadness.

In our country tonight, there are 13 families who have received word that their sons will not see the light of tomorrow's sun. Life for these young men ended today with the actions of a suicide bomber. Those soldiers knew the risks that faced them daily, and still they went about their duty. Strange word "duty" in a world that seemed to have lost its way. Somewhere in this loss, such words as honor, valor, and service seems to have been lost upon our nation, and trampled underfoot. Words such as these seem to have been looked upon as being outdated and not relevant any more. Something that only those "Flag-wavers" use. I think tonight we might could use a few more flag wavers.

Oh I do not want to glorify war and everything that comes with conflict. There are those who are hawkish enough think that the answer to everything is to "bomb it back to the stone age". Then there are others who seem to dwell in the eternal bliss of "can't we all just get along." To be honest, I think I fall somewhere in the middle of these two groups. I recognize the need to defend and fight for our freedom and liberty.....I also know that one of the worst things that can happen is when politics trumps military strategy. And yet.....there in the middle....through it all is the soldier. Men and women who are asked to do seemingly impossible tasks faced by the most insurmountable odds. They carry out the orders. They lay their lives on the line daily.

These men and women go off to places all over this world to carry out the duties of a soldier. They may inwardly question their orders at times, but they carry them out any way. They have their own personal opinions about operations and military plans, even to the point of not wanting to be a part, but they carry on. Why? Because that is what a soldier does.

Age has a way of making you see things a little more clearer than when you were younger. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and as a little boy played "army" with my friends all over our community. Images of John Wayne and Audi Murphy filled our minds with these two larger than life men being the defining picture of a real hero. We didn't know any better. 

As the 60's started to roll by, there was this "action" taking place in South East Asia. Viet Nam is the name I believe. As 1963 gave way to 64, only to be replaced by 65 and 66, I knew that I was fast approaching draft age.  67 was quickly followed by 68, which led me to my senior year, 1969.I had friends that I graduated high school with who joined up the day after we received our diploma's. 

Me? College. The draft lottery rolled around and we all sat to watch our future decided by a ping pong ball. My number? 210, if my memory serves me well. So college it was. I later joined the Guard which helped pay for my education. Took basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. Traveled 6 blocks from my basic training area to my AIT barracks. Served 7+ years. I developed a respect for those who were in active duty. Those who had already been to Viet Nam. Men such as my Drill Sgt...David Dock and 1st Sgt. Isaiah Keeler...Sgt. Stan Werve, and Sgt. Edward Freese.

Why say all of this? Because tonight the world is changing in ways I never dreamed it would. I see things that I never believed I would see in my life time.
And yet through all this chaos. Through all the governmental double speak (which is their way of lying without calling it that)...Through all the darkness of a nation and world that seems to have imploded with love of self, there are still those few young men and women who rise up to go and serve their country through military service. 

Every one who has ever put on a uniform is a hero to me. Every one who has ever left home and family to go off and serve is a hero. So tonight, there are 13 families who will hear that word, hero, bandied about by politicians and others who truly have no idea of the cost of what transpired today. Tonight, here in the safety of my home, I lift a prayer to the God I believe and follow, that His Spirit would bring comfort to the families who lost children today at that airport, standing guard so others could be airlifted out to safety. 

I will say a special prayer for a young man named Luke who has just left home to serve in the Army. And I will pray for his dad, Jeffrey, and mom, Deidra, that God's hand would rest upon Luke no matter where he may be sent.

To all who may read this.....

If you have served, or currently are serving....

Thank you, and know that you are in my prayers also.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...