Tuesday, August 10, 2021

TWO DRUNKS AND TWELVE STEPS

 


It is so easy to look at a picture, along with thoughts that you have collected, about these two men.
You may not recognize them if you're not familiar with A.A.
We have Dr. Bob Smith and Bill Wilson.
The world would look at both of these men and draw conclusions as to the character and virtue of them.
Those closest to them would have knowledge of their past.
Such a past would have labeled them as "two old drunks".

You see, this is the truth. They were two old drunks.
Hopeless over the desire to drink.
Bill Wilson, talking to his wife during the rage of alcoholism that had him in a death grip, made the comment, "I know I have hurt you...caused you pain...destroyed our life together...but even with all this, the one thing that consumes me is that I still want a drink."

I won't go into the history of these two.
Needless to say if you read Bill Wilson's story you will find where, at the end
of his rope, wits, and life, Bill called out to God.
God came.
There in that hospital room where doctor's and medicine had given
up on Bill Wilson and labeled him as a hopeless drunk, God came.

Bill would go on to meet Dr. Bob Smith, also an alcoholic,
and the two would begin a friendship that would lead to a
fellowship we now know as A.A.

You will find if search out A.A. on your computer, there are a lot of 
different opinions about it.
To some, it saved their lives by introducing them to who I
refer to as the "HIGHEST POWER". Jesus Christ.
Others want to remove God out of the equation by
saying you can define who God is to you.

I'm not here to argue one way or another.
I do know this.
I know many, others who have had the bondage of alcoholism
taken from the lives by turning will and life over to
the care of God.

One of my best friends as of next March will have 16 years
sobriety. Might I also say he will have 16 years of being a
follower of Christ.
He is just one of many that I know who have
allowed God to do for him what he could not do
for himself.

Trace it all the way back to two old drunks who God put together
and showed them a path out of the darkness.
Kind of crazy isn't it?
But you know what? I think maybe these two drunks and
all the others who broke free by God's power are exactly
the ones we read about in I Corinthians 1:27

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world
to shame the wise, And God has chosen the
weak things of the world to shame the
things which are strong."

Just like God, isn't it?
God on you...
Michael B.



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...