Tuesday, May 26, 2020

TAKING A LOOK AT A PROBLEM THAT HAS BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME...


O.k.....This is not going to be a rant against drinking. It's not going to be a shaming of those who can, and do drink socially. But there does need to be a dialog about the responsibility of all parties in this great big old world we have to live on. Responsibility for our actions that do impact those around us, and even those we may not be aware of.

Being a person who moves in the recovery circle, I confess to you that I see nor find a reason to drink. O.k. there I said it.
At the same time, I know people who do drink, not to excess but for what ever reason, find that "adult" beverages are a part of their social scene. Go for it.

But we, if we truly call ourselves followers of Jesus,  have a responsibility to put others needs ahead of our own.

Romans 14:12-13
Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fail.

Romans 15:1
We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this. We must not just please ourselves. We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord.

I have been given an incredible gift of freedom and liberty in Christ. But that does not give me the green flag to pander to my wants at the expense of causing someone else to fall. I know this may be a sensitive point to make, and some may even take offense at what I have shared, but I think we all teeter on the edge when our personal preferences take the point above the well fare of others.

I've often asked people who have sat in on some of my teaching, "What would you think if you saw me coming out of a bar? Or if you saw me coming out of a quick shop with a case of beer under my arm? Without fail, each group told me how disappointed they would be. But beyond that, they would never listen to anything I ever taught again because what I had done was hypocritical. I do not want to destroy my testimony because I felt I had a right to act in a certain manner.

Even as some of you may be reading this, your mind may automatically go to the passage from Ephesians 5:17-18
Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. Don't be DRUNK with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead be filled with the Holy Spirit.
We love this scripture don't we?
"See there it states plain as day..."DON'T BE DRUNK WITH WINE!"
Did you not read the rest of the verse.

It clearly tells us what not to do...
But then turns around and tells us what we are to do.
"BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT".
Seems as though we love that first part. It becomes the weapon we throw at everyone we disagree with. But clearly we all have been called to be filled.\
Overflowing....
Up to the brim....
More than we can hold....
With God's Holy Spirit.

Food for thought...
Thanks for letting me share....
God on you...\
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...