Monday, May 25, 2020

IT IS A JUDE 23 MOVEMENT: "Snatching Others From The Fire"


To everyone who has been called to serve those who are in addiction, bless you this morning.
To everyone who has come out of that darkness and is reaching out to friends, family in an effort to share what God has freely shared with you....bless you this morning.

I remember that my whole world changed back in August 1998. Prior to that month, I really had no care or concern for anyone in addiction. I pretty much operated with the mindset that if someone was crazy enough to get caught up in that mess, then they got what they deserved. That was really "Christian" of me wasn't it? How cold and heartless such a view was.

On the other hand, I didn't want to know anything about addiction. I would leave such to the professionals. Like I said, that all changed in August of 1998 with an invitation by a friend to go to a place called RAPHA, to help lead worship.

As the worship service wound down, I made a promise to myself that I would never come back to a place like this. God had different plans for me.
I came back. Then I came back some more. Days rolled into weeks, and weeks rolled into years and I kept coming back. What's more, my heart began to change. I lost interest in "churchanity" and replaced it with a very narrow, single focused view of who Jesus is and what His desire was for me.

I found out that the only thing that mattered when it came to addiction was the work of the cross....the justification of us sinners....the sanctification to be set apart.....the regeneration of a new life in Christ....and the glorification of His holiness in my tattered life. In other words, the entire scope of my understanding when it comes to addiction was found in I Corinthians 2:2 where Paul wrote, "For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

All of this journey has led to our meeting on Saturday night.
If you didn't know anything about us, and you walked into our meeting, I'm not sure that you would notice the difference between it and what takes place at most churches on Sunday morning. You may ask, "Well, what is the difference?"
The difference is life and death.

Those who come on Saturday night know all too well that if they don't own, guard and grow in this new life with Christ, they will return to old ways and die.
Some who come through the door are dying already.
They know it...
They may not fully understand who this Jesus is, but they are looking for something to stop the pain and bring them hope.


Oh, we're not all doom and gloom...
Last Saturday night Debbie Handy led worship, and one of the songs she sang was "I CAN ONLY IMAGINE". It was something to behold to be a part of the worship team and look out into that room and see a group of formerly dead men and women singing praises to God. Oh it was the best choir sound you've ever heard, but it was the sweetest. Because these folks had been brought up from the grave and filled with life.

That is why we do what we do on Saturday night.
That is what real recovery is all about.
So here's to everyone who heads up a recovery meeting....
Here's to everyone who works tirelessly to pull these meetings off...

God on all of you....
Thanks for letting me be a part of the greatest fellowship on the face of this here earth.

Mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...