Friday, May 22, 2020

TIME STOPS FOR NO ONE


I did not expect the emotion I felt last night as I attended the graduation of my grand son, Tyler Bynum. It began as the graduates entered the stadium to the usual graduation rendition of "Pomp and Circumstance". I watched Tyler move across the field with his classmates, and I promise you for a moment I saw my Dad in the way Tyler walked.

His dad, Chad, my first born, had become the principal at Lincoln High School, and now was a few moments away from handing his first born his high school diploma. I was made painfully aware of how short time is, and as the old adage goes, "It waits for no man".

There was an entire list of people who I wished could have been there last night. I'm not so sure that they weren't watching in.  My mom and dad, Vicki's mom and dad. Her grandmother and grandfather, not to mention Peggy, her sister.

Tyler finished 5th in his graduating class.
Not bad since I was a "middle of the pack" student.
As such with Tyler's placement, he was one of five students who gave a "Golden Apple" speech where they recognize the teacher that had the greatest impact on them during their school years. To my surprise (and I don't know why it surprised me) Tyler's speech was to his mother, Robin. Tears...many tears listening to this young man share of the impact his mother had on him.

The entire time, Chad sat beaming like the proud father he is.
(In the photo above, Chad is on the left).
Sitting there in that stadium last night, I was reminded of the faithfulness of God and His word. I thought back to Tyler's birth and the DK111 passage that we saw when Vicki and I parked at the hospital to go and see our first born's first born. I had my Bible with me and I turned to page 111 and there it was in black and white. Exodus 13:1-2 Then the Lord spoke to Moses saying,"Consecrate to Me all the first born, whatever opens the womb among the children of Israel, both man and beast; it is Mine. 

I remember taking Tyler in my arms and praying a prayer of consecration over him, giving him to the Lord to be raised in teaching and ways of God. Last night, I saw the next step in the life of this young man, Tyler Bynum.  For me, I am closer to the end now more than I've ever been, but Tyler is just starting his journey. I'm sure that there will be pitfalls along the way, along with hurt, grief and sorrow. But there will also be great joy knowing that no matter what comes his way, God has him in the palm of His hand. What more could a grand father ask for? Nothing more.

Robin and Chad.........
You have done well in the raising of your son.
Ashley, my little darling.....
I will see you in 2023 when it becomes your time.
Tyler.....
Go forth in the name of God and let Him lead you to the place He has for you.

Vicki....my love....
We did pretty good for a couple of old high school graduates.

God is good.
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...