Monday, October 5, 2009

Dull....

I think the one thing that absolutely drives me crazy is when I become dull to scripture.
By that, I mean you read a particular passage and the whole time you are reading, a voice in your head tells you, "Hey...you've read this before. Come to think of it, you've read it a gazillion times. There's nothing more there to glean from it."
You know....
Sometimes it isn't about gleaning anything as much as it is just hearing the words again for the first time. I know that last sentence didn't make sense but that is they way I feel. You hear Scripture again for the first time. Maybe you are in a different place emotionally and physically not to mention spiritually, than the last time you read it. Maybe life has dealt with you and you with life in such a manner that the words affect you or strike you in a way they couldn't have in the past.

It is important the we never become dull to the Word of God, but that we approach it daily with new eyes, new heart and an ever increasing desire to see it again for the first time. I came across such a passage like this today. As I read it I begin to see it with fresh eyes and it just became alive to me. The passage is Luke Chapter 4, verses 17-19

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
for he has appointed me to preach Good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,

that the blind will see,
That the downtrodden will be freed from their oppressors,
and that the time of the Lord's favor has come.

What an incredible statement as Jesus read it from the book of Isaiah. Not only did he read it, but proclaimed himself to be this very one written about in Isaiah. Who would dare make such a statement except he who has been appointed to do so? Who would be appointed unless the appointment came with authority and power to back up the words of the reading?
Heaven had come down and invaded our time and space.
War had been declared on Satan and the Kingdom of God was being ushered in.
Give me strength today, Lord, to take care of this part of your kingdom you have entrusted to me. May I be found a good steward in your eyes and may I receive correction and discipline as a good son should. May I be very teachable in your affairs and wishes.
Come quickly Lord Jesus....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...