Tuesday, September 28, 2021

"HE" AND NO ONE ELSE


 

I love the simplicity of the scripture. Oh, I know there are parts that I don't fully understand, but the meat of what I read has one simple thought.....FOLLOW. Truly how hard is it to follow? Well, at times, it is very hard. The answer to the the problem is me. I get in the way. I mess it up. Jesus is leading me, when all of a sudden I want to take a side trip which usually does not end well.

Psalm 23 is one of my favorite chapters in the bible. David opens the Psalm with a statement as to the spiritual position he occupies in his relationship with God. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." If David refers to God as not just a shepherd, but his shepherd, then he views himself as being a sheep. One who follows the shepherd. It's the next series of verses that show movement to a life committed to following Christ. We see God and His efforts to keep us under His care so that we won't wander off to our own destruction.

Let's begin with verse 2:

"He makes me"

"He leads me"

"He restores me"

"He guides me"

Verse 4 --- when life takes me into dark places, I will fear no evil. Why? Because He is with me. The very thought that my Great Shepherd has weapons to protect me with brings a comfort to my mind and my heart.

"You prepare a table"...a place to feast. God even does this in the presence of my enemies, who stand at a distance watching all this take place, but doing nothing because of the presence of my Shepherd.

"You anoint my head with oil"....you protect my mind and my heart with the "oil" of your Holy Spirit. And because of this, my obedience to the shepherd brings His blessings to me.

That is my Shepherd. That is my Savior, and that is my King! Chew on this and let God reveal His truth to your heart this day.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...