Friday, September 17, 2021

TIME TO COME BACK

 


Proverbs 12:15 - The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.

"I've got this...I don't have a problem."

"I've just run into some bad luck."

"Meeting? I don't need a meeting."

"If people would just get off my back and leave me alone."

"I don't drink that much! I only do it on the weekend."

"Hey, I'm not hurting anyone."

I've heard them all. All the reasons that people give when the very way they live is evidence of a deep problem of addiction. The individual protects the addiction like it was a new born baby. Don't messing around, telling them they need meetings, or a big book, and don't even bring up the name  of Jesus. 

That is one of the things that concerns me here in Gadsden. The number of people who have quit going to meetings. Now if you're not familiar with recovery, when I say "going to meetings" I'm not talking about showing up and filling a seat. I'm talking about becoming actively engaged in their recovery. I guess recovery and church have a lot in common. It's easy to fill a pew as it is a chair. Both serve no purpose if the individual is not engaged and pursuing, following hard after the Highest Power who has brought them new life, and a new way of living. By the way, my Highest Power has a name, and that name would be Jesus! 

Then at the heart of recovery (and church) is the reality that we need to give back. Give back to others as we share our story. Give back to others by being there for them, helping and guiding them into this new way of live. We do this because it has just become a part of our nature. It is like breathing, we give back because that's just what we do. We do so without much thought, other than the care and concern for others that we want them to experience the freedom Christ has given to us.

If you are struggling today....

If you are out there and seem to find yourself sliding backwards toward your old life......

If you are one of the ones who have placed your recovery on hold (at least you think you have)....then go to a meeting. A place where you can regain your perspective on life. A place where you can come back to God, turning back to the real path of life to take up the journey again. Just don't put it off another day. Another day will turn in to multiple "another day" and pretty soon, you won't care. You will have reached the point to where a false belief has taken over your mind.

"I am what I am.....I cannot change.....I am hopeless" Don't let this become the rule of your life. Real life...real recovery....is waiting for you to come back.

God on you...

Michael b


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...