Wednesday, August 12, 2020

WHY?

 


Luke 6:46
"Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"

Ouch! That's kind of a heavy questions this early in the morning. That is one thing I love about Jesus---He cuts right to the chase. Doesn't monkey around with the truth.

He is addressing His disciples (V.30) but there is a crowd that has gathered to listen, so I'm pretty sure He was including them. The heart of this verse and the question Jesus asked is even more relevant today in our time. I believe that people who are in addiction, want to be free from it. I believe that they truly want the pain and destruction to go away, so that when an invitation to be "SAVED" by Jesus is given, they are sincere in their desire to be free. But here is where the rub comes in. It is the whole "Make Jesus Lord of Their Life" thing that they either are not ready to surrender to, or they simply do not understand what it means.

What Does It Mean to Say That Jesus Christ is Lord? For Jesus to be Lord of your life means that He is the ruler, the boss, the master of your whole life. He cannot be Lord of a part – He must be given control of the entire life - the whole life. ... He wants to be Lord of our spiritual life and of our physical life. When we read the 3rd step of the Twelve steps, we read where that are to turn WILL AND LIFE over to the care of God. When someone steps in to take care of you, then there is an expectation that we will do what they want us to. Same here, except it is on a much larger scale that we can think or imagine. 

For Jesus to be Lord of my life means that I do not pick and choose when that is. I do not wholly give myself to Christ only to hold back certain behaviors or beliefs because I am not ready to turn loose of them. Addiction is "All Or Nothing" lifestyle. I don't know any half-hearted addicts. Same with having this new saving relationship with Christ. It is an all or nothing lifestyle. But the benefit is that Christ will equip me, empower me, direct me in the way that I should go, so as to move away and beyond that old lifestyle that was killing me. You see, addiction is basically "slow suicide". 

Jesus, in John 10:10, states that He has come into our time and space to give us life....and that we might have life abundantly.
Meth never promises this....
Heroin cannot give you this....
Alcohol doesn't have this at the bottom of the bottle...
Crack sure won't make things better....
But there it is....
Jesus' own words.
Who would make such a statement such a statement as this? Life and life Abundantly?
Who would make such a statement? One who could back His words up, that's who.

Make Him LORD of your life today....
God on you.
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...